City of Chicago releases Inspector General’s report on Laquan McDonald shooting

U.S. & World

CHICAGO (WGN) — Five years after a Chicago police officer shot and killed Laquan McDonald, the city Inspector General’s report has finally been released.

Read the report here.

According to the report, the inspector general determined Jason Van Dyke lied during interviews following the shooting.

“Van Dyke’s false reports, false statements and material omissions all served to exaggerate the threat McDonald posed,” it states.

Van Dyke interviewed with a police review board two days after the shooting and claimed McDonald was moving toward him.

“I think he’s going to try to take my life away from me,” Van Dyke stated to IPRA.

Read the following excerpt from the interview:

Van Dyke: He’s getting’, he’s getting’ closer to me. I could see that there’s nobody to my right. There’s nothin’ in front a me. There’s nothin’ to my left. I keep on orderin’‘em to drop the knife, drop the knife, drop the knife. He doesn’t drop the knife. He’s still wavin’ the knife at me. I’m thinkin’ he’s, he’s goin’ do somethin’ to me.

IPRA: And whaddid [sic] you think was he was gonna do?

Van Dyke: I think he’s going to try and take my life away from me.

IPRA: And what happens?

Van Dyke: I shoot ’em.

The inspector general did have access to the dashcam video from the shooting. In the report, it gives a detail count frame-by-frame of what happened.

Page 10 of the IG summary report mentions two Cook County Sheriff’s deputies who arrived to the scene after the shooting.

In it, one deputy said CPD officers were standing around McDonald and were not administering aid.

The deputies went up to him, as he was “gasping for his last breathe of air”, to try to administer aid. The deputy stated McDonald died in front of them within a minute.

The report states the deputies heard multiple CPD officers tell Van Dyke to “call your union rep.” in the aftermath of the shooting.

They remained on scene for about 10 minutes until CPD said they were not needed, according to the report.

During September’s City Council meeting, aldermen approved the release of the 2016 report by Inspector General Joseph Ferguson.

Ferguson’s report was critical of at least 10 officers involved in the McDonald matter and Deputy Chief David McNaughton. McNaughton retired only days before Ferguson’s report was officially delivered.

The initial police report following the shooting cleared officer Jason Van Dyke of any wrongdoing. He was later charged with murder after the dashcam video was released. Van Dyke was convicted, and is currently serving a 6 year and 9-month prison sentence.

For local, national, and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our FREE mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don’t Miss

Win a trip to see Mel Robbins
Join the Pro Football Challenge
On the Trail: VR/360º
Bailey's Bites: On The Road
Sunday Morning Matters
MedWatch Today
Hispanic Heritage
CBS47 On Your Side
Bulldog Insider: The Podcast
The Valley's Armenia

CBS47 On Your Side

Do you have a problem that you need help solving? Contact Investigative Reporter Erik Rosales and let him be

On Your Side.