11-year-old girl dies from allergic reaction to toothpaste

U.S. & World
Child Death_1555990257266.jpg.jpg

A California mother is sending out a warning after she says her daughter died of an allergic reaction to toothpaste.

Monique Altamirano told the story of her daughter Denise Saldate’s death to the magazine ‘Allergic Living’.

According to Allergic Living, the 11-year-old had a severe dairy allergy.

It reports the mother said a dentist prescribed Denise a toothpaste that unknowingly contained a milk-derived protein.

Altamirano told the magazine that toothpaste triggered a deadly allergic reaction.

According to the mother, the specific prescription toothpaste involved in Denise’s case is not commonly used.

In the report, she said they were careful to check food labels for milk and other potential allergens but they did not think to check the toothpaste.

C-N-N contacted the family to confirm the report but they have not responded.

For local and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our FREE mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.