Two suspects arrested in two unrelated Fresno homicide cases

3-7 187 victims web_1552003071247.jpg.jpg

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer announced the arrest of two suspects in two unrelated homicide cases from this year.


Christopher Valdez, 21 was arrested for the shooting death of 22-year-old Andrew Valdez.

The shooting happened February 2nd around 1:47 a.m. at 3245 N. Maple Ave. Police Chief Jerry Dyer says both men were attending a party. 

Dyer says the two men were acquaintances and were hanging out when for an unknown reason, Christopher began firing multiple rounds.

Andrew Valdez was shot multiple times in the upper body and was pronounced dead on scene. 

Dyer says Christopher fled the scene. On February 8th detectives served five search warrants, and through those warrants they were able to seize evidence leading them to Christopher Valdez. 

Police say he is a on parole for robbery. Valdez has been booked into jail. 

Dyer says their were several people at the party who witnessed the shooting; Dyer is urging anyone who witnessed the shooting to contact the Fresno Police Department. 

Andrew is a father of two children. “They are going to grow up without a father,” Dyer says.

His father thanks the police department for their work in getting a suspect behind bars. 

“Andrew was like any 22-year-old. He was trying to get his life together. He was wanting to change his lifestyle for his children,” Andrew’s father said during the press conference.  

Dyer says the shooting was senseless, and unprovoked.


Justin Garza, 23, was shot and killed on March 3rd in the parking lot of the Motel 6  located at 4080 N. Blackstone Ave.

When officers arrived on scene they located Garza inside of a vehicle; he was pronounced dead on scene. 

Chief Dyer says around 3:30 a.m. Sunday, a taxi cab pulled into the parking lot, and half an hour later, the victim pulled up in his car with a woman.

They pulled up next to the taxi and the passenger got out. Garza and the other individual began having a conversation. 

The suspect, Randy Jones, went back to the taxi and returned with a handgun. Police say he then shot Garza multiple times. 

Chief Dyer says Jones and Garza had arraigned to meet each other at that location, the 
two were in communication. 

Dyer says the reason for the meeting was for the purpose of Jones gaining services from a stripper company. 

During the press conference Chief Dyer said Garza was going to provide a stripper to Jones and collect a debt Jones owed the company. 

Dyer says Jones owed more than $30,000 for past services. 

Following the shooting, Dyer says Jones got back into the taxi, pointed a gun at the taxi driver and told him to drive away. Police say Jones told the taxi driver that if he called police he would kill him. 

Jones was located in the Friant area and was taken into custody around 5 p.m. on March 3rd. 

Jones has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and kidnapping.

For local and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

July 23 2021 05:30 pm

CBS47 On Your Side

Do you have a problem that you need help solving? Contact CBS47 and let us be On Your Side.

Phone: 559-761-0383