CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated which office the facility had been handed back to. This has been updated.
TULARE COUNTY (KSEE/KGPE) – A local power outage ended up causing a temporary evacuation of the Juvenile Detention Facility in Tulare County on Monday, according to officials. According to Tulare County Fire, a call went out at 8:35 p.m about a smell of smoke at the site, north of the city of Visalia.
When fire crews arrived on the scene, they also reported the smell of smoke, but no fire. As a safety precaution, everyone was evacuated.
In a statement, the Tulare County Probation Department stated that the cause was a local power outage that impacted the Juvenile Detention Facility and around 300 surrounding homes.
“Following the outage there was an electric malfunction related to the air conditioner handler, resulting in smoke and electrical odor within the facility. The malfunction did not result in a fire, nor did it impact the living units of our youth; however, with safety and wellness in mind, staff and youth were evacuated to a secure area.
In response to the outage and electrical malfunction, Tulare County Sheriff’s Department, Tulare County Maintenance, and Tulare County Fire Department were onsite offering assistance. At about 10PM, Tulare County Fire Department gave the approval to restore power temporarily and turn on the generator.”Tulare County Probation Department
Power was fully restored at around 12:30 a.m. and the generator was no longer needed, according to the department. Officials say no damages or injuries were reported.