Unattended space heater possible cause in southwest Fresno blaze: Fire Dept.

Local News

FRESNO, Calif. (KSEE/KGPE) — Fire crews responded to a blaze at a southwest Fresno home that was possibly caused by an unattended space heater, according to the Fresno Fire Department.

The blaze was reported before 9 a.m. in the area of Lotus and Jensen avenues, just west of Highway 41, Battalion Chief Tim Fulmer said. Smoke coming from the attic and garage was seen as crews arrived.

A small blaze was found in the home’s garage as was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

While residents were able to escape the home, fire crews rescued a dog in the garage.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation but firefighters believe the blaze may have been caused by a space heater to warm the garage for the dog, Fulmer said.

The fire department reminded residents that heating devices like space heaters need to be unplugged when unattended or not in use.

Fulmer said space heaters cause fires as they create a lot of heat and draw a lot of power from the electrical system — anything combustible nearby can catch fire.

It was the second fire that was recently caused by an unattended space heater.

For local, national, and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our FREE mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

CBS47 On Your Side

Do you have a problem that you need help solving? Contact CBS47 and let us be On Your Side.

Phone: 559-761-0383
Email: OnYourSide@cbsfresno.com

Don’t Miss

Best of the Valley
Sunday Morning Matters
MedWatch Today
Hispanic Heritage
Bulldog Insider: The Podcast
The Valley's Armenia
Pros Who Know