Family pet dies in house fire

Local News
IMG_1143_1552945618234.jpg

A family pet died in a Visalia house fire early Monday morning, fire officials say.

The Visalia Fire Department responded to a single story house fire at 1730 S. West St. at 6:30 a.m.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the garage of the house. Fire officials say one resident was attempting to put out the fire with a garden hose but had to stop because of the heat. 

Fire officials say two residents and a dog where able to escape the home safely, but a cat was found dead inside.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidentally caused by an electrical cord that was running a small refrigerator. Fire officials say the electrical cord had been pinched in a doorway causing it to overheat at the source.

The fire caused $80,000 in damage to the home and $50,000 to the contents inside.

For local and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.