Family of five asleep while their home caught fire in Visalia

Local News
DxYLHW2UYAAojBT_1548052358279.jpg

A family was asleep Sunday morning when their home caught fire in Visalia.

It happened around 9:19 a.m. in the 3000 block of West Cypress Avenue, according to a Visalia Fire Department news release.

When firefighters arrived, they saw heavy fire and smoke coming from two front bedroom windows of a single story home.

Crews were able to extinguish a majority of the fire from the outside before making their way into the home. Additional fire crews performed ventilation and overhaul operations.

Fire officials say five people were inside the home sleeping during the fire, and were able to escape safely.

The cause of the fire was determined to be from a space heater that ignited combustible
materials that were too close to it.

The fire caused about $150,000 in damage to the house which was estimated to be
worth $175,000, and there was approximately $75,000 in damage to the belongings inside the residence.

The Visalia Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep all combustible materials three feet
away from any space heaters or floor vents.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.