FRESNO, California (KGPE) — Two families have a renewed sense of hope after Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office offered up a $50,000 reward to help find their children’s killer after more than three years.
Brandy Collins, the mother of 19-year-old Kayla DeBorde, was the first to find out Thursday. She immediately called 17-year-old William Harris’ father, Kevin Harris, to tell him about the reward.
Collins said a flood of emotions washed over her.
“It’s what we’ve been praying for. What we’ve been hoping for,” she said. “Something to just motivate these kids or young adults to come forward and say something.”
William Harris and DeBorde were at a birthday party in Easton in January 2016 when they were shot. The shooting erupted following a fight at the party, according to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office.
Since then, there’s been no arrests. However, with this new reward on the table, there’s hope.
“It’s a small chance, but then again, the money is an incentive that could really make it all happen,” Kevin Harris said.
Over the years, the two families have grown close — starting a scholarship and 5k race in the two slain teens’ honor. The pain of missing them will never go away.
When asked what she missed the most about her daughter, Collins said, “Her smile, her laughter, her silly jokes.”
Kevin Harris said this when asked the same question, “I miss seeing the guy he would be.”
For someone to come forward, it’ll give these parents something they’ve wanted for a while.
“You’ll give two families some closure that they desperately want to see happen,” Kevin Harris said.
This isn’t the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office’s first reward of this kind from the Governor’s office. It got one in 2005 for the 2004 murder of 12-year-old Kevin Vang.
These rewards don’t expire, so that one is also still up for grabs.”