Keith Foster, former Fresno deputy police chief, is going to federal prison

He was convicted of conspiring to distribute heroin and marijuana

FRESNO, California - Former Fresno cop Keith Foster is going to federal prison.

Foster was convicted of conspiring to distribute heroin and marijuana while holding the 2nd highest position within the department.

Monday he was sentenced to four years in federal prison followed by three years parole.

Foster officially went from a man who put criminals in jail, to a man who will soon be behind bars himself.

The former Deputy Chief was accompanied in court by family friends and his pastor.

Foster had few words to say but did comment that he'll continue to fight his case with an appeal and continue to praise god.

"All things work together for the good for those who are called to the lord's purpose," says Foster.

After three hours the judge sentenced foster to four years in federal prison.

"I'm heartbroken for Keith," says Michael McKneely, Foster's Attorney.

Foster's attorney tried to get his sentence reduced to ten months, but the judge's verdict stayed 48 months for the Heroin conviction and 48 months for Marijuana.

Both of sentences are to be served at the same time.

"48 months in prison, it's beyond me personally for an offense in which no transactions actually occurred," says McKneely.

The judge also sentenced Foster to three years parole when released.

"We're going to continue to fight at every level and exhaust every opportunity we have to appeal this," says McKneely.

An opportunity Attorney Charles Mgill says could be slim to none.

"Most appeals are not successful. I do a lot of appeals myself and the percentage is pretty low where you have a case overturned on appeal," says Charles Magill, Attorney.

Still Foster's attorney says the jury and judge were unfair.

"The judge today punished Keith for being a law enforcement officer. They held him to a different standard and used it to enhance his punishment," says McKneely.

Family and friends were disappointed in the verdict and did not want to talk to media; but Foster, left the same way he entered: hopeful and prayerful.

"All I can say is god is good and justice will prevail that's why we have an appeal process," says Foster.

The judge ordered Foster to turn himself in on January 13thby two o'clock.

He will serve his time at the Federal Correctional Institution in Lompoc or Dublin.

Under federal guidelines inmates must serve at least 85 percent of their time which would amount to three years and four months.

Latest News