FRESNO, California (KSEE/KGPE) – Gross vehicular manslaughter is among the charges filed against the man involved in a deadly police pursuit and crash in Fresno on Thursday, according to Fresno County District Attorney’s Office.
Fresno Police say 33-year-old Roger Harris hit another driver – 48-year-old Guy Shearer – as he fled from police during a traffic stop in the area of Cedar and Olive Avenues. Officers found a loaded 9mm handgun in the car and Harris was later arrested.
Charges filed against Harris include:
- Gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated
- Driving under the influence of a drug causing injury
- Evading causing death
- Evading an officer by going opposite traffic
- Hit and run causing death
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Violent felon in possession of a firearm
- Illegal carrying of a concealed weapon
- Illegal carrying of a loaded weapon in public
- Felon in possession of ammunition
If convicted, the DA’s office says Harris faces a sentence of up to 51 years in state prison.