A house in North Fresno is now a total loss. Deputy Chief, Rich Cabral, with Fresno Fire said he believes the fire started outside when some items in their recycle bin caught on fire.
“It’s pinpointed to the recycle bin on the side of the home,” said Cabral. “The burn patterns at the side of the house indicate that the fire not only started there but it extended.”
That’s when the fire got into their attic space through a vent eventually getting into their house.
“Suddenly they discovered fire coming through one of the vents inside the home,” said Cabral.
He said the homeowners made the right decision grabbing their kids and getting out of the house.
When firefighters arrived on scene the fire hydrant across the street wasn’t working.
“When firefighters went to open up that hydrant it appears the stem that actually opens the water, the gate valve, to allow water to go through into the hydrant and into the hose line broke,” said Cabral.
So, crews had to use a fire hydrant 700 feet away.
Now, neighbors are coming together to assist the family in whatever way they can.
Gerry Hastrup has lived on Essex street for 25 years. She said she was shocked when she walked outside and saw her neighbors house up in flames.
“Very unexpected and you know everybody is very careful,” said Hastrup.
She said she has never seen a fire this bad before. So, she grabbed her broom to help clean up what is left of her neighbors house.
“The neighbors are always really helpful around here and that’s really important especially when something like this happens,” said Hastrup.
Neighbors set up a gofundme account to help assist the family who lost their home.