Cat credited with rescuing couple from carbon monoxide poisoning

3-5 cat saves couple_1551840945318.JPG.jpg

A pet cat is being hailed a hero after saving her owners from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last week, Paul and Leona Jones went out for an early dinner and came home in the middle of a rainstorm.

Their car has a push button ignition and in their rush to get inside, Leona forgot to push it off.

Eight hours later… Bella the cat started to meow… as the toxic fumes spilled into their house.

Leona managed to call 911 and although advised to get out of the house she could not move her husband.

“She was not able to stand up at all. I carried her from underneath the bed, I pulled her out, set her on the bed, then I collapsed on the bed,” said Paul Jones. 

Fortunately, firefighters arrived and discovered the dangerous source. Rescue crews administered oxygen to the couple and the cat who were all rushed to the hospital.

“He was close to death. I wasn’t quite as bad, but he was close to death,” stated Leona Jones. 

The Jones’ have since installed carbon monoxide detectors and put up a warning sign in the garage.

The couple says there’s no doubt that Bella the cat saved them.

“If she hadn’t cried and hadn’t woken him up, we would have never known and we would have slept though it,” Leona added. 

The couple said they’re both having residual confusion and some muscle weakness. But doctors say that’s to be expected.

For local and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

July 23 2021 05:30 pm

CBS47 On Your Side

Do you have a problem that you need help solving? Contact CBS47 and let us be On Your Side.

Phone: 559-761-0383