The state attorney general says he’s close to finishing his investigation into the officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark.
Xavier Becerra spoke on the issue today following the district attorney’s announcement that she would not be charging the officers.
“We should be ready very, very soon.”
All eyes are on the state attorney general as he prepares his conclusion in the shooting death of Stephon Clark.
Although officers mistook his cellphone for a gun, Sacramento’s district attorney says she won’t charge them. She claims Clark was suicidal, on several drugs, in a shooting stance and advancing toward officers when he was shot to death last year.
After the announcement Clark’s mother calling on the attorney general..
“I’m praying that the attorney general will pick up where she failed,” said Stephon’s mom Se’Quette Clark.
“I get it, I understand how important this is, to the family more than anyone else but to the folks who feel like this is not something new,” mentioned Becerra.
The city on edge after the DA’s decision. In downtown crews put up a fence around the Golden 1 Center and surrounding shops ahead of Monday’s Sacramento Kings game.
A security guard tells us this fence was put up here primarily to prevent what happened here last year when protestors blocked the entrance to the arena.
The attorney general has not commented on the DA’s report.
“I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to start talking about some of those things before we issue the results of the criminal investigation.”
Clark’s family attorney says its expected March 18.