Here’s everything we know about the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting


Three people were killed and many others were injured in the shooting

GILROY, Calif. — Authorities on Monday were searching for answers to why a 19-year-old opened fire on a popular food festival less than a mile from his parents’ home in California, killing two children and another man, but believe many more people would have died if officers patrolling the event had not stopped the gunman so quickly.


Santino William Legan, 19, cut through a fence and appeared to randomly target people with an “assault-type rifle” Sunday afternoon, the end of the three-day Gilroy Garlic Festival that attracts about 100,000 people to the city known as the “Garlic Capital of the World,” Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee said.

High school senior yearbook photo of Santino William Legan. The photo was obtained by our sister station KRON in San Francisco.

Police responded in less than a minute, and Legan turned his “AK-47-type” gun on the officers, Smithee said. Three officers fired back and killed Legan, who legally purchased the weapon in Nevada this month.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of the officers who were able to engage this guy as quickly as they did,” the police chief said. “We had thousands of people there. It could have gone so much worse so fast. … There absolutely would have been more bloodshed.”

Legan’s motive wasn’t known, Smithee said.

The festival in the agricultural city of 50,000 about 80 miles (176 kilometers) southeast of San Francisco had security that required people to pass through metal detectors and have their bags searched.

The shooter sneaked in through a fence that borders a parking lot next to a creek, Smithee said, and the gunfire sent panicked people running away and diving for cover under tables and a concert stage.

Some witnesses reported a second suspect, Smithee said, but it was unclear whether that person was armed or just helped in some way. A manhunt stretched into Monday.


Stephen Romero

Six-year-old Stephen Romero, a 13-year-old girl and a man in his 20s were killed, authorities said.

“My son had his whole life to live and he was only 6,” Alberto Romero told San Francisco Bay Area news station KNTV. “That’s all I can say.”

The boy’s grandmother, Maribel Romero, told Los Angeles station KABC-TV that she searched several hospitals before learning he had died. She said he was “always kind, happy and, you know, playful.”

The Santa Clara County Coroner’s Office identified the 13-year-old victim as Keyla Salazar Monday afternoon.

“This is nothing short of horrific.”

California Gov. Gavin Newsom

The man in his 20s has been identified as a recent graduate of a college in upstate New York.

Keuka College President Amy Storey says in statement Monday that Trevor Irby, a biology major who graduated in 2017, was among the victims of the Sunday shooting.

Keuka College is about 70 miles southwest of Syracuse, New York.

Authorities haven’t officially released the names of the victims.

The wounded were taken to multiple hospitals, and their conditions ranged from fair to critical, with some undergoing surgery. At least five have been released.


Right in the middle of Sunday’s shooting were two Central Valley teens who just moved to Gilroy to play on Gavilan College’s team. The two were working a shift for the team’s fundraiser when those first shots rang out.

More than six hours after the shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival happened, the teens say the experience will be sticking with them for a very long time.

Ethan Rogers and Devin Pacheco had just wrapped up working at their team’s ticket booth for the day. As they made their way to an exit, the pair heard gunshots.

Anyone with information on the shooting — or who has photos or videos that may be relevant to the investigation — should go to

At first, just around five-to-ten, according to Rogers. Then after a pause, Rogers claims to have heard around 40-to-50 shots. That’s when everyone made a mad dash to get out of the festival.

This was Rogers and Pacheco’s first time at the festival — they never expected they’d have to run for their lives.

“There was just a lot of adrenaline, like, almost a movie scene,” Rogers said. “Just went into autopilot.”

The two had only recently moved to Gilroy, Pacheco hadn’t even hit his two week anniversary. For them, this move meant the beginning of something great.

Now it’s marked with tragedy.

“We just moved out here for football and school — just starting our lives,” said Pacheco. “It was just scary…and we couldn’t rely on our parents because they’re so far away.”

They expected to learn some life lessons moving out to Gilroy. However, they didn’t expect this one so soon after leaving home.

“This could happen at any time, obviously it happened here,” Rogers said.

Rogers graduated from Clovis High School this year, while Pacheco graduated from Sunnyside High School.


Police searched the two-story home of Legan’s family less than a mile from the garlic festival and a dusty car parked outside before leaving the house Monday with paper bags and what appeared to be other evidence.

Jan Dickson, a neighbor across the street, said Santino Legan had not lived there for at least a year and that SWAT officers came to the home Sunday night. She called the Legans “a nice, normal family.”

“How do you cope with this? They have to deal with the fact that their son did this terrible thing and that he died,” Dickson said.

The Gilroy Garlic Festival features food, cooking contests and music and is a decades-old staple in the city. Authorities said police, paramedics and firefighters were stationed throughout the event.


The band TinMan was starting an encore Sunday when the shooting started. Singer Jack van Breen said he saw a man wearing a green shirt and grayish handkerchief around his neck fire into the food area.

Van Breen, from nearby Santa Clara, said he heard someone shout: “Why are you doing this?” The reply: “Because I’m really angry.”

The audience began screaming and running, and the five members of the band and others dove under the stage.

Bandmate Vlad Malinovsky said he heard a lot of shots and then it stopped. Later, law enforcement told those hiding to come out with their hands up.

Donna Carlson of Reno, Nevada, was helping a friend at a jewelry booth when “all of a sudden it was pop, pop, pop. And I said, ‘I sure hope that’s fireworks.'” She got on her hands and knees and hid behind a table until police told her it was safe to leave.


President Donald Trump condemned the shooter.

“We express our deepest sadness and sorrow for the families who lost a precious loved one in the horrific shooting last night in Gilroy, California,” Trump said before an event at the White House.

He called the suspect a “wicked murderer.”

In a tweet, California Gov. Gavin Newsom called the bloodshed “nothing short of horrific” and said he was grateful for the police response.

Video posted to social media showed people running in terror as shots rang out.

Evenny Reyes of Gilroy, 13, told the Mercury News in San Jose that she spent the day at the festival with her friends and relatives.

“We were just leaving and we saw a guy with a bandanna wrapped around his leg because he got shot. And there were people on the ground, crying,” Reyes said. “There was a little kid hurt on the ground. People were throwing tables and cutting fences to get out.”

Reyes said that she didn’t run at first because the gunshots sounded like fireworks.

“It started going for five minutes, maybe three. It was like the movies — everyone was crying, people were screaming,” she said.

For local, national, and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our FREE mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

July 23 2021 05:30 pm

CBS47 On Your Side

Do you have a problem that you need help solving? Contact CBS47 and let us be On Your Side.

Phone: 559-761-0383