California man re-arrested in bombing that killed ex-girlfriend

California
180515-aliso-viejo-explosion-ac-947p_062a94c399abee1f4d6d74a1bf92fdd6.fit-2000w_1551663241617.jpg

A man arrested and released last year in a fatal Southern California bombing is back in custody in the same case, federal authorities said Sunday.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the latest charges against 59-year-old Stephen Beal will be detailed Monday.

Agents were searching Beal’s Long Beach home after he was arrested on Sunday morning, she said.

Beal was charged last year with being in possession of an unregistered destructive device after a May 15 explosion killed Beal’s ex-girlfriend, Ildiko Krajnyak, 48, at her Orange County spa.

Two of Krajnyak’s employees were also injured after opening a box that exploded.

Investigators found two improvised explosives, three guns and more than 100 pounds of explosive material during a search of Beal’s home, but prosecutors dropped the charges after the FBI said it wasn’t sure that material satisfied the legal definition of “destructive device.”

Beal, a model-rocket hobbyist, said at the time that he didn’t have enough supplies to cause the kind of explosion that occurred at the spa.

For local and breaking news, and to get weather alerts, download our mobile app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.