Bail reduction denied for driver in crash that killed 8-year-old boy in Selma

News

The man accused of a deadly crash in Selma that took the life of an 8-year-old boy appeared in court on Thursday.

The California Highway Patrol says Karmjit Singh was speeding when he ran a stop sign crashing into the Martzen family back in February. 8-year-old, Maverick was killed.

This week, the District Attorney’s office reduced his charges from murder to voluntary manslaughter.

On Thursday, the issue was whether the defendant’s bail would be reduced based on the reduction of the charge. The defense came away disappointed by the judge’s decision.

Wearing a red prison uniform, Signh appeared in court. The reason was to ask to lower his bail from $1.5M to $10,000.

“In my humble opinion, he’d be a danger to society if I released him,” said Judge Jon Kapetan.

Judge Kapetan also said he’d be a flight risk, denying the request.

Meantime, this comes just two days after murder charges against Singh were dropped in favor of a much less serious felony, vehicular manslaughter.

“He’s just devastated that a child died in this case,” said Defense Attorney, Sam Salhab. “He’s not trying to skirt responsibly for what happened. He just wants to do the time that’s prescribed for what he did.”

“They are just disappointed that someone who they thought was looking at 15 to life is now looking at a maximum of six years,” said Jeff Hammerschmidt, the Attorney representing the Martzen Family.

Back in February, the CHP said Singh blew through a stop sign on Bethel Avenue in Selma going nearly 100 miles per hour. He collided with a car injuring Scott and Megan Martzen and killing their 8-year-old son, Maverick.

We exclusively interviewed mom, Megan right after her hospital stay for broken bones.

“He was our world and our only child,” she said.

At the time of the deadly crash, Signh was arrested for DUI. He was also driving on a suspended license due to a 2016 DUI conviction. Prosecutors filed a murder case but attorneys say it was revealed his BAC was below .02 so the charge was reduced this week.

Though, no longer facing a murder charge, his defense attorney had this to say:

“To keep the bail amount the same as it was previously when he was alleged to have committed murder where he is now alleged to have committed an accident is a bit surprising to us,” Salhab said.

Signh is due back in court next month.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.