Inspiring the Valley: Finding inner strength, a young Fresno man’s journey to walk again

Inspiring the Valley

You were first told about Edison High School graduate and track star, Ceariaco Dixon in 2018.

He was left paralyzed from the waist down after becoming an innocent victim of gang violence in Fresno.

However, he plans to inspire others with his determination to walk again.

Reality for the 18-year-old is coming to terms with the wheelchair he uses to help him get from place to place.

He will tell you his family may have been poor, but life was rich and he had a bright future ahead of him.

“Having a full ride to go to college, about to go to Australia to compete against people, top fastest people in the world at my age level,” Dixon explains.

A track star in high school, on his way to college, his career slipped away when he was caught in the cross fire of a gang-related shooting.

Dixon, an innocent victim, was hit in the back and shoulder as he was leaving a Christmas Eve party.

He was left paralyzed from the waist down.

Since November, Dixon has been attending a therapy program at Break the Barriers called H.O.P.E. 

“We refuse to quit on their recovery, so if they want to keep going and they are pushing hard and willing to do what we are asking, we continue with them,” says Rachel James, director of the program.

And he will not quit.

He says, “When I was doing my therapy, I felt like giving up but I kept telling myself that I’m a bigger person, I’m a better person and I have a lot more going for me.”

With him through all of this is his mother, his motivation.

“To see my son pushing being strong,” Tasheba Thomas, his mother, says. “That just make me smile everyday. It makes me proud.

He wants to walk again, and he’s determined to walk again, knowing he has a long journey ahead.

“When I reach that goal, I’m going to pray, thank God,” he says.

And he plans on paying it forward, saying, “I’m going to help somebody who is in the same position as me.

Anyone who would like to donate toward Dixon’s efforts to walk again, here is a link to his GoFundMe.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Pro Football Challenge

Don’t Miss

Win a trip to see Mel Robbins
Join the Pro Football Challenge
On the Trail: VR/360º
Bailey's Bites: On The Road
Sunday Morning Matters
MedWatch Today
Hispanic Heritage
CBS47 On Your Side
Bulldog Insider: The Podcast