#GirlPower: Meet the Valley girls who helped make a No. 1 state track title a reality

Girl Power

The girls track team from Buchanan High School in Clovis is still celebrating after making history.

They’re the first girls team at the school to take home a state title at the 101st Track and Field Championship.

They didn’t start the season as the best team in the state, but they delivered when they needed to. We spoke to some of the teammates to see how they did it.

We interviewed six girls who are part of a winning team, the first girls track team in our area to take home a state track championship.

“It was an awesome feeling for us and I want everyone to experience that here too,” says teammate Shelby Daniele. She helped them to victory by winning the 200 meter race at last month’s meet.

“It’s not just guys that work hard and run fast. Girls can do it too. We just work together and encourage ourselves and try to inspire the young ones to come up and do even better and follow our paths and hopefully win just like we did,” she says.

Cross country runner Meagan Lowe is one of the top runners in the state, and now mentors young runners herself.

“I just want to show girls that it is a very positive environment. If you do work hard and you want to be in this sport that you can really do something special,” Lowe says.

The girls say the team has become a family. They’ve supported each other through tough times, including the loss of a parent.

Logan Winter lost her mother, Carol, two years ago, to breast cancer.

“So we all ran with ‘For Carol’ ribbons and our relay team up until the valley meet, we always ran with the ‘For Carol’ hot pink baton, and that was kind of their way of support. So it was kind of cool running at this state meet knowing she was looking down, ‘that’s my girl,’ we made her proud,” Winter explained.

Lauren Fowler ran the 4×100 relay with Logan. She is the youngest member of the team as a sophomore. And she says she was intimidated at first.

“The big thing is, don’t be afraid and have confidence because anything you try you may not like that thing and just move on. You can adapt and it was easy for me to adapt,” Fowler says.

Senior, Haley Abirachad says she finally reached her goal on the triple jump at the state championships, her last chance as a high schooler.

“Hard work pays off. I know that grinding every day for the past six years… every day coming out here and having a good attitude on the hard days, hard workouts, knowing that all that paid off and I achieved my goal,” Abirachad says.

Relay runner Aleeza Hassan says she hopes this team’s win will be a motivator for other girls to tap into their girl power.

“That’s what girl power means to me, it means independence, it means individuality, it means embracing all the things that make you different because those differences can help achieve amazing things,” Hassan says.

Their head coach, Brian Weaver, says these girls created something special with this team, and it all came together at the state championships.

Weaver says, “Seeing how far women have come and they’re just showing that anything is possible and I love that, there is no boundaries for them whatsoever.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Pro Football Challenge

Don’t Miss

Win a trip to see Mel Robbins
Join the Pro Football Challenge
On the Trail: VR/360º
Bailey's Bites: On The Road
Sunday Morning Matters
MedWatch Today
Hispanic Heritage
CBS47 On Your Side
Bulldog Insider: The Podcast