Bomb Threat Sends Bullard High Students Home Early

By Angela Greenwood

Published 09/04 2014 05:41PM

Updated 09/04 2014 07:54PM

The Bullard High scare caused all sorts of problems, both on campus and off campus.  Not only were police and school resources stretched thin, but about 800 of the school's 2,000 students didn't show up to school, while the rest missed out on a part of the day because they were sent home early.

For the kids who did show up to school Thursday, the school day was a very short one.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry dyer says, "My recommendation to him was that we release the students early."

The announcement was made over loud speaker just after noon; about an hour after a bomb threat was emailed to the school's principal.

Bullard student Devin Foster says, "They just said that we want to make sure that everybody is safe and make sure that they get off campus."

Buses were called in early and automated phone calls were made to parents.  Lisa Peoples, a CBS47 employee, has a daughter at Bullard High.

"She texted saying they're not doing much in class, so that was concerning," says Peoples.

The chaos came after the school was vandalized Wednesday, sparking a flurry of threats and rumors on social media.  Once the bomb threat came in officials did a preliminary sweep of bathrooms and classrooms.  Students were sent home so police could investigate further.

"In light of all the things that are occurring across the country in schools we wanted to air on the side of caution," says Chief Dyer.

Police tracked down the suspects who are accused of tagging the school and making the threats - crimes that took a huge chunk out of police and school resources.

Fresno Unified Superintendent Michael Hanson says, "It is a colossal waste of time for everyone in the community."

Classes at Bullard are expected to resume Friday.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business