Friends are in shock, after the deaths of two men from carbon monoxide poisoning.
A woman remains in the hospital.
All three were part of the same tragedy in a warehouse on Maroa and
“We were real good friends with the people, who lived here, they were real nice guys,” said Irma Juarez.
Irma Juarez was shocked after losing two of her friends...Mike and Andre, to carbon monoxide poisoning.
They used a generator to keep warm.
It was a deadly decision.
Toxic fumes quickly filled the room.
A woman who came by to check on them is in critical condition.
“The generator running inside ran so long that it ran out of fuel. When we began monitoring the atmosphere inside this warehouse...after 30 minutes of just natural ventilation, we still had elevated levels of carbon monoxide at the front door," said Fresno Fire Spokesman Koby Johns.
Friends say the men were in their forties and worked odd jobs in the warehouse...for an Ebay and Craigslist business.
The man who runs the business let the men stay in the warehouse for a couple of months to get back on their feet.
Hazmat crews vented the warehouse...and didn't find a single carbon monoxide detector.
Just a couple weeks ago, the Fresno Fire Department installed 25 new detectors in the same part of town.
“It’s preventable, and highlights the importance of having working carbon monoxide alarms,” said Johns.
Last year, Fresno Fire was called out to 591 carbon monoxide related incidents.
Nationwide, 439 people died from the silent killer.
“It was all in good intentions, when we found out, everybody came here, trying to stick together,” said Irma Juarez.